Monday, October 29, 2007

Going to the Sunny side of the Island


Just after I wrote last, I came to realize that staying at Kalani for three months is not what I was called to do. Writing on this trip has helped me so many times to clarify my thoughts and feelings and I am grateful for that.

I realized that I felt way too isolated at Kalani and while the people I met there were wonderful I just didn’t have it in me to start a whole new community. Did I mention that it also rained everyday at Kalani and that I always felt vaguely wet? I have a deep and loving community in Seattle and being part of the recovery community has allowed me to make this trip and find community wherever I go. After praying and listening for what to do I emailed a friend who lives in Kailua-Kona on the opposite side of the island of Hawaii.

I asked my friend if she knew of any possibilities for house sitting or perhaps a job near her. I figured I would trust that if it was meant for me to leave I would find something and if not I would stay at Kalani. Within a few hours, my friend had found me housing for a few weeks and the possibility of two different jobs! Not only that, her sister was visiting and they had planned to drive over to the part of the island on I was in two days, so they came and picked me up! I felt truly blessed!

I left Kalani on Tuesday, October, 23rd. It was raining as we left and I felt good about my decision. We visited Volcano National Park on the way back and I was taken to the house I could stay in after dinner with my friend and her sister. It is a beautiful house that overlooks Kailua Bay. I had my own bathroom (not sharing with 13 others) and a wonderful bedroom to myself. I will be able to stay here for almost three weeks.

If I learn nothing else on this trip, I hope I will remember that there is always help available and that listening to my heart is a good thing. I am so glad I met the folks I did at Kalani and that I had the experiences I did have there. I am just as glad to be on the sunny side of the island now near a community of support that is more familiar to me.

Already I have had the opportunity to swim and snorkel and meet new friends. I even got to travel to the top of Mauna Koa Mountain to see the sunset. But that is another entry.

Thank you to everyone at Kalani and especially Estee for her friendship and support to help me get to this sunny side!