Sunday, December 30, 2007

A Place of Refuge



Every year, at the end of the year, I try to do something to let go of the year that is ending and to be open to the New Year. In past years I have gone to a women’s spa and received a sea salt scrub – scrubbing away the year ending and making my skins soft and new as a newborn to great the new year.

This year I am in Hawaii. I decided to go to the Place of Refuge: Pu’uhonua o Honaunau. A wall surrounds this beautiful place at the edge of the ocean. Lava fields frozen in their flow reach the water. The most recent wall of the sacred ground was constructed around 1650 and the bones of the great kings are included in the wall. These ancient kings protect the area. The pu’uhonua was a sanctuary that provided people a second chance. No blood could be shed within its confines. Warriors escaping invaders could come and be safe. So too could anyone who had broken a kapu – a taboo. When a kapu was broken the penalty was death –otherwise the gods would punish the people with an eruption or an earthquake.

If someone could get themselves to the place of refuge though, the priest performed a ceremony of absolution. Then the offender could safely return home. All respected the spirit of the sanctuary – the pu’uhonua.

I carefully walked out over the ancient lava flow to the sea and there I sat with 5 pieces of coral. I had five requests for absolution and letting go. I asked to be released fro all anger and fear. After each request, I threw a piece of coral into the sea. When I was done, I walked to the beach and swam with the sea turtles and the most beautiful bright yellow fish. I am ready to return home safely and to start a new adventure.