Saturday, March 24, 2007

Daffodils

Oregon is a beautiful state. Green hills, tall fir trees, and mountains with snowy tops. Driving through the state though what I noticed were the daffodils. Near the exits or on ramps, right now there are patches of daffodils blooming. Groups of twenty or thirty bright yellow flowers dot Interstate 5 every ten miles or so. How did they get there?

Daffodils are not native to Oregon. Someone had to plant them – but who? I’d like to believe it was flower-loving Oregonians who wanted to brighten my day and for other travelers. Seeing the flowers where like passing someone on the street that is holding a baby who smiles a huge smile at you and brings a smile to your lips. Seeing the flowers also made be feel like a special gift had been given to me just because – because I was alive. Each time I saw a patch I found myself saying thank you to the unseen gardeners who the treat available to me.

In truth, the highway department probably planted the daffodils and realizing that brought a smile to me as well. I like the idea that a government agency thought it would be a good use of dollars to bring a spot of spring to travelers throughout the state. Thanks Oregon!

1 comment:

Anne & Joe said...

Dear Libbie--
Thanks for your vivid description of the "smiling" daffodils! Here in NY green things are just beginning to poke up through the icy mud, so it's nice to know that spring is in full swing somewhere! Our daughter in Berkeley says that the cherry trees are in bloom there, so you are driving into spring! Enjoy!