Thursday, July 12, 2007

Update July 12, 2007

I know too much time has gone by since I updated my blog. I’d like to tell you I have been too busy to write but that wouldn’t be the truth. The truth is… well I don’t really know what that would be. I guess that writing hasn’t been of interest to me.

Since summer started I have been reading a lot, sitting in the sun, going to the shore, running /walking and contemplating my next step on this journey. I have been plagued with confusion and doubt about what to do next.


I have been able to get to the Jersey Shore and visit with cousins I had not seen in many years. I went to New York City and saw the Fourth of July Fireworks – amazing. They had 3 barges filled with explosives and the display went on for a half hour! New York does things in a big way. The weather was more Seattle like than east coast that day and it seemed odd since I have gotten used to it being hot.

I am exploring spending three months in Hawaii for the winter. I would house sit for a friend and then work at a retreat center on the big island. I have also applied to the International Executive Corps. They place consultants for short and longer stays abroad, helping businesses and non- governmental agencies (non-profits). I have also found out more about getting a certificate to teach English as a second language so I can travel and teach and get paid!

Just in the past week I have found myself missing having a home, a place of my own. Living with my sister has been great and for a while I really liked not feeling bound anywhere. Now I find myself wanting to really unpack and have my own space – but where? I am not ready to return to Seattle full time. I will return for a while before going to Hawaii. But I am not ready to ‘go home’.

I am getting ready to want to leave the east coast. But that’s another entry.

On July 18th I am flying back to Seattle for ten days to visit my daughter and go on retreat with the women’s group I have been part of for over 25 years! I am looking forward to seeing everyone, even though I feel a bit adrift again. I know the love and care of good friends will help.

More later! Libbie