Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Update





As the dog days of summer arrive, I find that writing has become hard to do. I think about it but then I just don’t do it.

July was filled with trips to the beach, reading in the sun, walking and running regularly. I also traveled back to Seattle to be with the women’s group I have been a part of for 25 years. It was very odd to be a visitor in my hometown.

I stayed with friends before leaving with the women for our retreat. I did not have a car so I depended on my daughter for rides. I saw the city a little more through the eyes of a tourist. I connected with a few folks but since I would be there such a short time I did not let everyone know. I felt a bit like a space alien.

Friends would say “ It is so good to have you home” and I would be perplexed. Part of me didn’t connect that I had been away at all – what were they talking about? I live in Seattle – I haven’t been away. Then another part of my brain would track that yes – I have been away for 4 months. Maybe though, my trip had been a long dream I had had and I really had never left Seattle. I felt very confused.

Having five days with the women who I am most close to helped to ground me. We laughed and shared and ate wonderful meals. We had long walks and long talks about every imaginable topic. I had a chance to go more in depth with what this experience of my trip has been. They are truly sisters of my heart.

By the time I had to leave I knew one truth of this adventure. I love so many parts of the East Coast. My roots are here and so are many family members and old friends. I used to think I would never want to live here again though and part of being here for three months was to see if I was called to return. I am not. I could live here and be a kind of happy but as of now I choose not to – the West calls me home.

So what now?? My daughter if flying out east in mid August and driving with me back across the country. It will be a faster trip – only 7 days. I will be in Seattle for September and then on to Hawaii for 3 ½ months! More to come about this next exciting part of my adventure.