Sunday, September 23, 2007

Homeless is Seattle


The month of September has found me in Seattle until the 25th. I have been house sitting for friends and staying with others. The weather has been sunny part of the time and cloudy with rain at other times.

I have seen people who are glad to see me home…..but am I? Part of me wonders why they welcome me home- haven’t I been here all along? I feel in part like I had a dream that I traveled the US and spent the summer back east but when someone says, “Welcome Home” my mind realizes that it wasn’t a dream at all – I really have been away.

My house is rented and I have gone by to do some yard work. Part of me feels like I never left and another part is so disoriented. I try to remember to drive to the place I am staying but find the car driving to my home only to realize that it isn’t my house right now.

I have been able to act like a tourist in my own city and visit with folks leisurely. It has been good but I watch out that I don’t get too connected because I am leaving again so soon.

I have read about sabbaticals while in Seattle. The Bible speaks about not working for a year, every seven years. The people trusted that God will provide a bumper crop in the sixth year to cover what will be needed when the sabbatical years comes. Taking a year off is a way to dedicate oneself to God for a year. There is a faith that we will be provided and cared for. This is my journey this year: to dedicate myself to discover and grow my connection with God and build my faith and trust that I will be cared for.


Tuesday, September 25th I leave for Maui. I am house sitting for a good friend for almost three weeks. Living on a tropical island has been on my list of things to do in my lifetime so now I will get a chance. My friend lives far away from the resorts so I will get to experience real island living. Then on October 14th I will go to the Big Island of Hawaii.

I am going to work at Kalani Oceanside Retreat as a volunteer. The conference retreat center operates with volunteers who work and live at the center for three months. I will work in the kitchen four days a week and then spend time doing yoga, swimming, reading and creating a new dream for my life. It is exciting and a bit scary – living in a community will be new for me, cell phones don’t work well and there is no TV!

I am not taking the Peeps with me. It is too humid and wet on the island. I will have my stuffed Peep (see above).

I hope you like my new look. Every few years I cut my hair. This time it was to make it easy to be in the sun and water. I will keep up the blog while I am away (I will have internet at the retreat center).

Write to say hi- send prayers and good wishes – I will be doing the same for you. Aloha!