Friday, April 6, 2007

Weekly Update 11



Bisbee, AZ

March 31, 2007 – I left Sedona in the morning and visited the Cathedral of the Rock. This beautiful church was built into the Red Rocks of Sedona. It was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright’s son and was amazing! From there, I journeyed to the little town of Jerome, AZ. It was built into the side of the mountains at over 6000 ft of elevation. An old mining town, it is now an artist place that visitors come to. There are amazing views of snow capped mountains and Red Rocks cliffs. The day was finished with a trek on Interstate 17 through Phoenix (I did get to see lots of tall standing Saguaro Cactus) to the Tucson area for the night.

April 1, 2007 – I spent the day traveling and stopping – all on my way to Bisbee, AZ.
First stop: Kartchner Caverns – These caverns were discovered by two 20 year olds in 1974 and kept secret for almost 20 years until they could figure out how to open them to people without ruining them. It’s a great tour and well worth the time and money.

Second stop: Tombstone AZ – home of the great shoot out at the OK Corral. Lots of tourists but fun. The best thing was seeing the world’s largest (from the Guinness Book of records) rose bush in bloom! It is a rambling rose that covers 8000 sq ft! It has tiny yellow blooms and they provide a viewing platform to see the blossoms.

Third stop: Holy Trinity Monastery in St. Davids: They had just finished Palm Sunday mass – The small church is quite lovely.

Finally Bisbee: I walked the town, got a motel for the week but spent the first night at a motel 4 miles from the Mexican border. Great Mexican food and I talked with folks from Mill Creek, WA.

April 2- 6, 2007: I have spent my time in Bisbee walking, reading, sitting in the sun, talking with locals, and visiting all the great art galleries and shops. I went to Sierra Vista (the big town with the Wal-Mart and Target stores) one day. It is 30 miles from Bisbee. I stopped for a hike by the San Pedro River that day as well.

I have seen pure white doves and dark green hummingbirds as well as 30 turkey buzzards flying at dusk. The people of Bisbee are very friendly. Many of them came here sort of like me- wanting a change in their lives.

WANT TO SEE MORE PICTURES??? TRY http://web.mac.com/estellas ( I think my new posting worked)

It is Holy Week and so it has been a retreat for me to take this time to me in one sunny place for the whole week. Next week? Texas!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.